Re: Is it possible always show the notification area icons in GNOME 3?

2011/4/18 Frederic Muller <fredm gnome org>:
> On 04/16/2011 11:26 PM, BrianHsu wrote:
>>
>> Since I've some program use the notification to indicate their status
>> (for example, my Chinese input method use this to indicate whether I'm
>> in English mode or Chinese mode. And a program that show the CPU
>> temperature on the notification area).
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> I'm not sure about your question, but the IM indicator is on the top panel
> next to the accessibility indicator. So you should be able to see it at all
> times. If not, you might be running an old version of the shell.
>
> Fred

Thanks for reply and sorry for my poor English.

What I want to say is that if I use non-GNOME project program, for
example Pidgin or DeadBeaf, there status icon will show in the
message tray instead of top bar and I've to move the mouse
cursor to the bottom of my screen if I want to check those status.

Because those program place their status icon at notification area,
which now will show only in the message tray in GNOME3.

After digging into gnome-shell mail list, I found that this is done on
purpose[1], because the developers think notification area should be
deprecated [2].

[1]: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-shell-list/2010-October/msg00014.html
[2]: https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Guidelines/MessageTray/Compatibility

And since I don't believe notification area status icon should be deprecated
and I want my good old status icon always shows at top bar, I've wrote a little
GNOME shell extension that could set which status icon show at top bar.

Just in case anyone also need this, I also wrote a blog post explains
how to do this:
http://bone.twbbs.org.tw/blog/archives/2148

--
BrianHsu