Re: A bridge too far ...

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 14:04 -0800, Clark Dunson wrote:
> Oops got off-list

And there was more in his off-list reply to me so I am going to take the
liberty of posting it here with my responses since I did take the time
to respond to it all.

> On Feb 15, 2008, at 1:00 PM, Clark Dunson wrote:
>
> as root:   hostname newname
>
>   I confirm it by
>
> hostname
>
> I get back "newname"
>
> Good, right?  No, not at all.  Now Gnome will not start a new
> terminal.
> The viewmaster cursor spins and spins, then nothing happens.  No
> choice.  Either ctrl-alt F1, 2, etc for another console outside
> Gnome, or
> reboot.  So we reboot.  When it comes back up, hostname is reset to
> the old name by Gnome.  Conclusion:  Gnome is keeping hostname
> internally with no regard for what I did as root.

That's because newname is not resolving to a (correct) IP address for
that machine.  Now go to /etc/hosts and make sure that your IP and
newname are matched up and resolving to your node's IP address.  This
still has nothing to do with Gnome.  This is basic Linux/Unix system
administration.

> Ok, touche.  But ifconfig shows that the IP address is wiped out if
> we boot
> two systems side-by-side with the same name and different MACs

"wiped out"?  This sounds more like your DHCP server is broken.  Until
you fix that, you can't expect clients to behave.

> Not crashed.  ifconfig for eth0 has two entires now (avah or something)
> Trying to track down what that means right now.

When DHCP fails, avahi steps in and assigns a link-local address.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeroconf.

> > Ahhh.  Not likely, no.  The hostname command is a "runtime" setting
> > only.  If you want to change the hostname over a reboot you need to
> > change it wherever your distribution stores it.  This has NOTHING
> > to do
> > with Gnome.  It's Linux distribution dependent.
>
> Ahhhh, that is information.  Interesting, thanks.  But I get hits on
> google
> that say it is happening in Redhat, Centos, Ubuntu, and more.  Many
> answers target Gnome as the source of this dialog box and the freeze out

What dialog box?  I was answering your question about hostname not being
persistent.

> >> But not on a Gnome machine.  The ‘real’ hostname is kept and set by
> >> Gnome?!?  Booooooooooo!!!
> >
> > Do you have any proof of this assertion other than the above
> > misunderstanding of how hostname is set on a Linux system?
>
> See above.

You haven't proven anything.  If anything you have proven that you are
misunderstanding the cause and effect of your problems.  The
non-persistence of your hostname has nothing to do with Gnome nor any
dialog boxes (which you have not even described so who knows what you
are referring to).

> 5000+ hits about this problem.  Look it up.

Please stop with the smugness.  You have no right to be smug with
how rude (and incorrect with your assertions and assumption) you have
already been.

Look what up?  You still have not described anything remotely detailed
enough to understand what you are talking about, never mind punching
into a search engine.

> Give me a few hours and I'll resurrect one of the systems and transcribe
> the messages Gnome is giving us about its unhappy "backend scripts"
> probably 2-3 hours.  But it is important, so I'll do it.

That would be a great start to understanding what your real issues are.

> And I am glad to hear you say that about Gnome.  If true though, then
> why
> does it permanently block us out of the admin GUI tools?

I don't think it does.  When you can describe some of your issues in
more detail, causes can be pinpointed.

> No no no... threat!?  I guess you could read it that way.  Sorry.
> Just a tight schedule and a bunch of frustrated engineers.

Which is why I suggested hiring somebody who knows what they are doing.
If anyone or anything will be doing a great service to Linux or Gnome it
will be you if you fail to understand it well enough to make it do what
it's doing well for millions of people.  Do you fix the furnace at your
place of work?  Why not?  You don't know how?  You hire that out to
somebody who does know how.  This is no different.  Get somebody
competent, then go get some training, then tackle the next job when you
have some knowledge instead of blaming the tools.

> Again, no threat.  We have deliveries to make and machines are broken.
> One buyer of our systems is the customer I refer to.

And again, if you are not qualified to make it happen, hire somebody who
is.  It sounds like there is some business in jeopardy if you fail.  Is
it really worth the cost of a few hours of expertise consulting to fail?

b.