A bridge too far ...

Friendly Gnomers;

Recently we came up against some decisions made by your team that have left us quite irate and disillusoned.  In particular, your choice to go around the design of Unix with regards to hostname/network and other permissions, e.g.:

Users and Groups
Time and Date
Shared Folders
Services

The hostname is usually set by the ‘hostname’ program, but not in the Gnome case.  We cannot set the hostname and recover several of our systems due to your design choice, which by every standard is not Unix-like.

Consider what’s happened.  We cloned a drive and booted it on another machine.  Oops, we forgot to shutdown the original system before we turned on the clone.  Our DHCP server refused to give an IP address to the same hostname twice.  Of course.  That’s called ‘security’.  Result?  The cloned system failed the network.  That’s all good.  On a normal Unix box, we could just use the command ‘hostname newname’ to change the hostname, and then reboot.  But not on a Gnome machine.  The ‘real’ hostname is kept and set by Gnome?!?  Booooooooooo!!!

Gnome (Ubuntu 7.0.4) now blocks us PERMANENTLY from changing the hostname.  And Gnome overrides su/root?!?  Whathehellis this dialog box?!?:

"You are not allowed to access the system configuration"

That is really bogus.  I'm root!!!  Keep doing stuff like this and you might as well just hand the future to Windows Vista.  Now a bunch of our clones, and all of the hours we put into them are DEAD!!!  We have tried every workaround we found on the internet: restart dbus, use alacarte, blah, blah, blah.  None work.  If we shut the original machine down first, boot a clone for the first time, and then change its hostname by hand with your GUI, then reboot, we can save that clone aka, workaround.  But this blocks up our builds and slows us down a lot.  Perhaps you could tell us how to access the hostname within Gnome directly so we could set it as part of the cloning process before booting the first time?  We guess that your security policy will not allow us to find out how to do this, right?

Our Admin is winning the day with management by saying we should be on Windows Embedded.  The way things are going now, he may win.  Our only out?  Spend the next two weeks re-cloning, hit our delivery schedule, and eat the $$$$ - or scotch Gnome.

The -backend- scripts *.pl are not happy, and you have just unravelled three decades of Unix wisdom.  How dare you create state inside of Gnome that overrides Unix, that not even ‘su’ can fix?!  Man that is weird.  All of us other programmers are forced to deal with permissions, why not you?  The developers of X have lived with the rules despite having a much harder problem to solve.  What are you dong??

Sorry to sound abusive, but I know of no other way to impress upon you how serious this situation is, and what risk you have introduced to the entire Linux community via your design choice.  Until we hear of a work around or a fix, we are proposing to cut all of our machines back to runlevel three.  (If it can even be done in Ubuntu).  We have no other way of knowing what other similar decisions your team has made, and a damn strong customer who is in no mood for this kind of BS.

I’m sure, given my quasi-hostile tone, that you are turned off, but any insight or guidance you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you ...

Marco Buscaglia

(watch the film)