Re: A bridge too far ...

Oops got off-list

On Feb 15, 2008, at 1:00 PM, Clark Dunson wrote:

as root:   hostname newname

 I confirm it by

hostname

I get back "newname"

Good, right? No, not at all. Now Gnome will not start a new terminal.
The viewmaster cursor spins and spins, then nothing happens.  No
choice. Either ctrl-alt F1, 2, etc for another console outside Gnome, or
reboot.  So we reboot.  When it comes back up, hostname is reset to
the old name by Gnome.  Conclusion:  Gnome is keeping hostname
internally with no regard for what I did as root.