request info re upgrading gnome

I have a WhiteBox Enterprise Linux 3 system with the original gnome installed via rpm.  (whitebox uses the redhat source rpms as it's base).  As Redhat's Enterprise Linux 3 is getting old, it is looking highly unlikely that they (or anyone else) will produce rpms of the latest Gnome for that system, and I would like to upgrade it.  Therefore, it looks like I will be building gnome from source, and I would like some help answering some questions for that task:

1. What is the recommended method of upgrading an rpm based gnome installation from the source tarballs?
2. Do I need to upgrade XFree86 first?
3. Is there a howto somewhere that might help me with this task?  I have looked, but found nothing.
4. Are there any potential sinkholes or problem areas that I need to keep my eyes out for?

I appreciate any help that you might provide me.  Since I also have the kde libraries installed, I will likely be upgrading kde from source as well, and the info that I gleam from this would likely help me with that task as well.

Thanks,
Darcy