Re: Launching Nautilus as su?

On 7/21/07, John Jason Jordan <johnxj comcast net> wrote:
I'm using Ubuntu Feisty amd64 with Gnome desktop, and all I had to do
was open a terminal and type "sudo nautilus." After giving it the root
password Nautilus opened up as always, except I was root so I could
copy, move or delete any file. Actually, almost always the reason I
need a root Nautilus is so I can fix permissions.

If I needed to do it often I'd just create a launch menu item for it.

Hi John,

The problem with this is that starting nautilus without --no-desktop
is that nautilus will start managing your desktop as the same user
that nautilus was started with (even though emblems indicate no change
in permissions...). I'm not sure this is too desirable when working as
root.

Cheers,
Tim