Re: Warning when opening .mp4 video files

Simos Xenitellis wrote:

Apparently the above is a "stock" message; something triggers the
display of the message although it should not appear.

Yes, your right. Some people seem to be getting confused here. It's not a bug. It's a default canned message that's trying to 'protect' you from acidentally running a malicious script or something that's disguised as another file.

Judging from the message, I assumed it is complaining about file CONTENTS and file EXTENSION mismatch. But when I renamed an .mp3 to a .jpg, EOG tried to open it and I didn't get the message... :-) Same thing with renaming mp3 to wav, audacious still opened it just fine.

So, the hell if I know what the conditions are to trigger this message but I wish the message would just go away entirely. Some clarification on this matter from an associated gnome dev would be really nice right about now...

It would probably be a trivial matter (once you locate which program generates this message) to just modify the source code and throw a return NULL in there so the window never rears it's butt ugly head. I have all the source code in one folder for gnome in it's entirety. Maybe I'll recursive grep thru the tarballs to see if I can't locate the offending program. I'll post a patch to change this behavior if I ever get around to doing it.

I realize that in todays security conscience computer world, the possibility exists of accidentally executing disguised/malicious code, but prevention ultimately lies in the hands of the administrator. I absolutely CAN NOT STAND IT, when software devs put stupid stuff like this in their code, in an effort to hold your hand.

What we really need is a gconf key to disable this warning. That way, gnome can still leave this irritating behavior alone if they really feel they need to protect their users, and at the same time if it annoys you, you have the option to disable it easily.

Problem solved and everybody wins... :-)