MIME badly broken

I have installed Gnome 2.6 from scratch by compiling all 2.6 destop applications from the Gnome ftp server. The setup works for the most part, however no MIME types and associations seem to work properly. For example if I click on a jpg image, gnome says that I have no program associated with that mime type. I try to add a program (say eog or gthumb) and that does not work. The box that comes up is only half filled in with defaults. If I try to add a default program and save, the program does not get saved, but not exactly, if I open the box again the association is there, but I get the same error when I try to open the file. If I just try to use "open with" to choose an application to open the jpg, I get a box that says "There is no application associated with that MIME type" and round and round we go.

Shouldn't a full install of gnome have the default associations built-in?
What could be wrong with my system that is confusing the Gnome MIME set up? Does having a .mime.types or /etc/mime.types mess up gnome? Is anyone else having a problem like this?

Some googling didn't seem to find any hints as to what I could do to fix this problem.

Also when I open a application help, I get the raw xml file in the gedit application. I don't think that is supposed to happen and may be related to the MIME problems above.

Fred

Error Loading Explorer.exe
You must reinstall Windows.