Re: MIME badly broken

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 23:57, F. Heitkamp wrote:
> I have installed Gnome 2.6 from scratch by compiling all 2.6 destop
> applications from the Gnome ftp server. The setup works for the most part,
> however no MIME types and associations seem to work properly.  For example
> if I click on a jpg image, gnome says that I have no program associated
> with that mime type. I try to add a program (say eog or gthumb) and that
> does not work.  The box that comes up is only half filled in with
> defaults.  If I try to add a default program and save, the program does
> not get saved, but not exactly, if I open the box again the association is
> there, but I get the same error when I try to open the file. If I just try
> to use "open with" to choose an application to open the jpg, I get a box
> that says "There is no application associated with that MIME type" and
> round and round we go.
>
> Shouldn't a full install of gnome have the default associations built-in?
> What could be wrong with my  system that is confusing the Gnome MIME set
> up?  Does having a .mime.types or /etc/mime.types mess up gnome?  Is
> anyone else having a problem like this?
I have problem like this.... For rtf file, Gnome has Abiword as default
application. I add Star office for the mime type. But when I try to open
file with open with... there is no Star office option. The problem is
same with you. Gnome don't want me to use Star Office to open rtf file.
Gnome want Abiword only....

I use default Gnome from Slackware 10.
Maybe this is a bug....