thumbnails issue

Hi,

I've had this problem for some time now and couldn't figure out what was causing it, maybe someone knows what I am to do.  Here's what I have so far: using handbuilt GNOME 2.6.1, Nautilus doesn't generate preview thumbnails for JPEG images larger than 32 kB.  Other image and file types work fine, as does the Image Collection view.  I've installed additional libraries supported by gstreamer and gst-plugins, but it still doesn't work.  When I try to generate a thumbnail by hand (I believe this is the general mechanism) by invoking for example

gst-thumbnail rosette.jpg outfile

I get the message about an unsupported marker type (usually 0x03).  A little research has shown that this happens when the decoding algorithm doesn't support progressive JPEG, which I am sure it does (libjpeg-6b docs say so).

Thanks in advance,
Zoran