Re: Gnome is very slow

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 10:35:37AM -0600 or thereabouts, Hoyt Bailey wrote:
> > I dont know where the problem is but I suspect it may be in X. But KDE
> > dosent exibit any such behaviour so that should mean that X is ok.
> >
> Apparantly it isnt a network problem,  because I can ping localhost and get
> satasfactory response 0 errors @0.26 to 0.29ms and hostname returns
> localhost.  Another suggestion was made earlier to try strace.  Well I tried
> and I dont know how to involke strace 'strace -Tcf /tmp/strace.o' wasnt
> adequate niether was 'strace -Tcfo /tmp/strace'.  Therefore if you would
> like to see the output I need a workable command.  The man page indicates
> that the output can be limited,  this might be a good idea but 2 minutes is
> a long time @ 1.7Ghz.

I am the one who suggested strace, a suggestion I later rescinded:

On Sun, 8 Feb, 2004 at 12:23:38 +0000, Telsa Gwynne wrote:

> However, I am informed by my local hacker that it will probably
> not help here, so I think I'll drop that idea.

What I was hoping was that in the long list of "opening this
file, opening this file, opening this file" stuff, there would
be some errors about not being able to connect to something.
But for reasons I forget (but I think UDP, the protocol used
by nameservers, was involved), I was told it wouldn't help in
this case. So I wouldn't bother trying. The output really is
a pain to read, and if it's not likely to help, there's no
point.

For the record, the syntax is strace -o outputfile command-to-trace.
And this is a Linux-specific thing: Solaris uses something like
truss instead. Not sure about BSD.

Telsa