Re: I want to be able to type in the filename...

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 16:10 +0100, Gábor Farkas wrote:

> with all this focusing-on-the-not-advanced (read: one who understand
> what filesystem means) users, gnome is getting harder (slower, more
> cumbersome,inefficient) to use for experienced users (like programmers).

I'm finding it far easier to use, and there's not a doubt that I'm a
very experienced user (like, say, a programmer ~_^ ).

I still don't understand what the problem is... you want to select
files.  The file chooser lets you choose files.  I get type-ahead
search, a great UI, and in the cases when I really, really need to use a
direct path (which is almost never) I can just hit ctrl-l, which
certainly doesn't take a lot of time or effort.

> don't get me wrong.
>
> i love for example all the simplification attempts...
> but imho things should be improved in a way that does not make more
> experienced users slower. for example: why do i have to use the
> file-selector more inefficiently, just because i know what is a filesystem?

You don't.  Just use the file selector.  How is it making you more
inefficient?

Perhaps instead of assuming that whatever problem you have would be
solved by a path entry widget, why not stop and identify the problems
and think up better solutions?  Do you just want faster keyboard
navigation?  Sounds reasonable.  Maybe we need some key-bindings for "up
folder" in the dialog?  (I can't seem to find one.)  I do know that I
can type in paths in Save As dialog to move around.  Maybe the type-
ahead find should be able to recognize "../files/" and change the file
view.

There are tons of things that can be done to improve the UI for
technical users without cluttering the UI with useless widgetry for non-
technical users.