Re: I want to be able to type in the filename...

On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 19:25 +0100, Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
> Toralf Lund wrote:
> > Can I change the GNOME fileselector behaviour so that I can type in the
> > filename?
> >
> > This is a lot faster and (ahem) *user friendlier* if you know in advance
> > what you are looking for...
>
> I have to second that. Also, how can i access files that are on an
> automounted (nonbrowsable) directory?

We don't want to display path names.  Having to understand the magic /
character (I know at least 6 people that call that "backslash") sucks.

The file selector has autocomplete, you don't need the full file entry
in most cases.  When you do, use ctrl-f.  It works, and it doesn't
require shoving more widgets into the main selector UI.

As for automounting, if you can't browse to the target directory, your
automounter is broken.  There should be empty folders that expand into
the full automounted tree when accessed.  If you are using an
automounter that can't do that, then make symlinks (i.e., /some-server
>> /some-server.mount).  I used to do that with an old, old system so I
could tab-complete from the shell to automounted directories.