Re: Permanently removing all desktop icons under gnome 2.0

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 05:31:18PM +1000, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 02:12:45PM +1000, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> > On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 12:10:04AM -0400, Gnome User wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Is there no way to just tell Gnome to get rid of all of those icons
> > > and still have its other desktop functionality enabled?
> > >
> > > Is my only option to put a "/bin/rm -f ~/.gnome-desktop/*" in my
> > > .profile, after all?
> >
> > It will be possible in GNOME 2.4, if I understand one of the threads on
> > desktop-devel at the moment correctly. Some changes that include the
> > functionality to do just this were committed last week to Nautilus.
>
> Looking at the change I was thinking about a bit more closely, it turns
> out that I am full of rubbish. Home and Trash still appear on the
> desktop -- they just don't correspond to physical files in a directory
> any longer. Please ignore the hot air I was spouting.
>
> Cheers,
> Malcolm

Oh well ... I guess I should enjoy "/bin/rm -f ~/.gnome-desktop/*"
in my .profile while I can.  :)

So I guess the disabling of "show_desktop" and the use of sawfish
will be the best I can ever hope for in the forseeable future of
gnome.

Hmmm ... perhaps it's time for me to bite the bullet and get the
source for gnome, familiariaze myself with it, and then add a patch
to provide some sort of "no_desktop_icons" property.  I wonder if
the gnome powers that be would accept such a feature.  Given that it
used to be easier to get rid of desktop icons in earlier gnome
versions, I fear that their mandatory inclusion in the desktop these
days is some sort of agreed-upon design feature.

--
 Gnome User
 gnome yadda-yadda-yadda org