Re: Permanently removing all desktop icons under gnome 2.0

On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 13:07, Gnome User wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 02:43:39PM -0300, Mariano Suarez-Alvarez wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 May 2003, Gnome User wrote:
> > >
> > > I like a completely icon-less desktop, and therefore, I'd like to
> >
> > Unset /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop (with GConf editor, for
> > example)
>
> Well, now that I've done this and used my setup for a little while,
> there is a new problem that I need to solve:
>
> Unsetting the show_desktop property indeed got rid of the "Trash"
> and "user's Home" icons.  But now, there are no desktop menus at
> all.  Apparently, each and every bit of desktop functionality was
> disabled in order to make those two icons to disappear.

What about changing the window manager to Sawfish so that you have SOME
menu functionality whilst at the desktop? Metacity doesn't like root
menus...(it's a very dumb window manager...still dunno why it's being
used - but that's my bit of hell)

--
Wed May 21 13:30:00 EST 2003
 13:30:00 up 1 day, 21:11,  3 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.11, 0.13

The Latest Get-Rich-Quick Scheme: Bashing Linux

As used by Jesse Berst and Fred Moody...

1. Write a scathing article attacking some facet of Linux and publish it
2. Arrange for the article to be mentioned on LinuxToday or Slashdot.
3. Watch as thousands of angry Linux zealots storm your article and load
   the advertising banners. Listen to the ca-chink $ound of the
   advertising revenue that's pouring in.
4. As soon as the maelstrom quiets, publish another scathing article about
   the immaturity of the Linux "community", excerpting some of the nasty
   flames from Linux longhairs denouncing your intelligence and claiming
   that you're on the Microsoft payroll.
5. Arrange for the article to be mentioned on LinuxToday or Slashdot.
6. Watch as thousands of angry Linux zealots storm your article...
7. Wait for a few weeks, and repeat. Cash your inflated paycheck, invest
   the proceeds in some Linux stocks, and retire early. You've "earned" it!