Re: How to port applets to GNOME2 (again)

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 10:03:46PM +0100, Ole Laursen wrote:
> If people really consider it a boring task, I can see that it is
> unfair of me to suggest that they spend their time with it. But else I
> don't understand your attitude.

It's not an attitude, just the facts of how open source
works.
That's definitely the way it works today, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to change things a bit.

Everyone does what they consider highest priority.
Well, when releasing development libraries, writing documentation should be considered one of the top priorities, IMO. In fact, it is more important than to actually implement some of the functionality.

What didn't
get done is what no one did. There's no central command & control that
provides a rationale for the big-picture "what got done," it is simply
the sum of what people did.

So, the way to be sure something happens is to do it yourself.
Richard Stallman's answer to "when will foo be done?" has always been
"faster if you help."
Of course. However, it may also be easier to help/get others to help if the basic doc is available at an early stage (it's a lot easier to implement something when you know how it's supposed to work.)

Also, documentation written by someone who "figured out how the thing works" is really no substitute for documentation written by the people who actually designed the software.

FWIW there's a fairly serious effort to unify all the important widget
APIs into GTK which has a full-docs-on-all-new-API policy.
Good ;-)

This is one
reason some people don't prioritize libgnomeui docs very high.

Havoc