Re: How to port applets to GNOME2 (again)

Toralf Lund <toralf procaptura com> writes:

> We still haven't been able to switch to GNOME2 in my office, and the
> main reason is that we have some custom applets that need to work with
> the new API. What is the best way to go about porting applets? And why
> isn't there any documentation on GNOME2 applet development? (Or is
> there? I can't find it anywhere...)

There's some in the CVS in the module gnome-panel. But beware! Last
time I looked, some of the "tutorial" part of it was directly
misleading (apparently outdated). There's a convenient reference page,
though. And you can look at the examples. You need to change the
applet setup and switch to using GConf, and of course port the GUI
code to GTK 2. But it's not that bad.

I don't why the documentation situation isn't improved. You should
probably bug Mark McLoughlin. At least the documentation ought to
appear at developer.gnome.org under the API references section.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/