Re: Need Distro Recommendation

Stephen Kuhn wrote:
On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 16:26, cr wrote:

Just as a matter of interest, if one replaces (say) a Red Hat distro of Linux, with a Debian one, what happens to all ones files on the drives? And particularly stuff like browser settings, Kmail folders and so on. Are they retained the same way as they are when upgrading from one RedHat version to a later one?

cr

Upgrading never works the way you want. Just backup your stuff, and
start fresh. Really. NO joke.

Even further, I doubt you'll have much luck 'upgrading' from one distribution to another.

Backup user home dirs and other pertinent info and do a fresh install if you're changing distros.

I always backup /etc as it's not that large, but contains a wealth of (sometimes painfully determined) configuration info.

--
Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric 3times25 net

Think about it...