Re: Need Distro Recommendation

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 16:26, cr wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 January 2003 23:29, Keith Powell wrote:
>
> > > If you are adventurous, you could try Debian. Pros: easy, continuous
> > > updates; good packaging (usually) with a policy for doing things the
> > > Right Way; tonnes of easy-to-install packages (the distribution is
> > > centralised so you don't have to hunt for RPMs); Gnome packages are
> > > usually updated within a few days of their release; a well-organised
> > > community for getting help and requesting package improvements (there
> > > is a mailing list for everything).
> > >
> > > Cons: the installer is actually OK, but some of the questions it asks
> > > are hard to answer if you are new to the GNU/Linux universe (but you
> > > only need to install it once, and there is a very nice manual); if you
> > > want bleeding-edge Gnome, you need to use the so-called unstable
> > > branch (there is stable, testing and unstable) - with unstable,
> > > sometimes a package is broken and you have to wait a few days
> > > before updating.
> > >
> > > I think the plan is to have Gnome 2.0/2.2 in testing soon, but it
> > > doesn't seem to have happened yet.
> >
> > I suggest the excellent Libranet distribution, the "User Friendly" version
> > of Debian.
> >
> > Keith
>
> Just as a matter of interest, if one replaces (say) a Red Hat distro of
> Linux, with a Debian one, what happens to all ones files on the drives?   And
> particularly stuff like browser settings, Kmail folders and so on.   Are they
> retained the same way as they are when upgrading from one RedHat version to
> a later one?
>
> cr

Upgrading never works the way you want. Just backup your stuff, and
start fresh. Really. NO joke.

--
Thu Jan 16 17:20:00 EST 2003
  5:20pm  up  3:03,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.06, 0.08

It is fruitless:
	to become lachrymose over precipitately departed lactate fluid.

	to attempt to indoctrinate a superannuated canine with
	innovative maneuvers.