Re: Again: Created menu items only visible for root

On Sun, 25 Aug 2003, Simon Wong wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 00:59, Frank Hrebabetzky wrote:
> > them into place (applications-all-users:///) with Nautilus as root. Now
> > these new items work when I start X as root, but they are invisible for a
> > normal user. Setting the execute bit of the .desktop file for 'rest of the
> > world' didn't help.
>
> I'm assuming you have the read bit set for world as well...
>
> You also need to ensure that the directories from root (/) down to there
> as also traversable (execute bit set) fro world as well.

That was it!
/etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolder/applications-all-users was not readable for
"others". I was fooled by some visible menu items in that directory, but
those where all copies. Not they were displayed, but the originals
elsewhere.

Thanks!
Frank Hrebabetzky	Tel.:     +55 / 48 / 235 1106
Florianopolis			  +55 / 48 / 9998 7686
Brazil			email:	  frankh terra com br