Re: Will Gnome _EVER_ be stable?

hobbit aloss ukuu org uk wrote:
I just have to interject here. I spend a lot of time trying to
persuade people to submit bug reports. One of the reasons cited
not to do so is that they'll just be ignored, or sworn at.
Excuse my attempt to downplay an American swear word by replacing it with an English one.
I meet gnome-terminal geometry troubles on relogging in sometimes.
It's more than minor. On occasion they have shrunk from 80x50 to
more like 10x10.
Yes - I confirm this. This is ridiculous and should be easy to fix. Assuming you have the time...
> The hardware is dual 1.2Ghz Athlon MP .5 Gb Ram, gnome, rh 7.2 2.4.9-31.
> What files should I be looking at in .gnome* for evidence of tampering.

When it comes to logging in and out, I would include /tmp/.ICE-unix
and friends too. I doubt it causes any harm, but I certainly see a
lot of sockets in there which are simply never cleaned it. I have
files going back to January 2000 there...

Mine only go back two months..
I don't think "this doesn't bother me" is a good way to assess how
much it bothers someone else. I can cheerfully live without a graphical
file manager, without GDM, without xchat, and without support for
printing other languages. I do tend to presume that GNOME is for
more people than just me though...
Please don't get me wrong. I enjoy gnome and use it both on Linux and Solaris. I just intended to say
that depending on your production requirements you may want a backup.

Henry
--

I didn't say it would be easy. I just said it would be the truth.
-Morpheus