Re: panel autohide

Michele Campeotto wrote:

>   I also agree with you that having the menubar change when changing app
> may be a problem - as it can be a problem having to click on a window
> before being able to see its menu.
>   Can you point me to some rationale against global menus?

There are two issues I can think of:

- Many GNOME users don't use click-to-focus, and religiously refuse to
do so :)  So there would need to be some sort of hacky mechanism/setting
built into the window manager to ensure focus wasn't given to other
intermediate windows when you moved the pointer from the application
window to the menu bar.  (Sawfish can probably already deal with this
with its plethora of settings, other GNOME-compliant window managers may
not).

- It's a pain when you're running on multiple screens, as many power
users do-- even on a Mac with multiple screens, the global menu bar
always appears on screen 1 (IIRC), which often isn't the one that your
application window is on.  This makes using the menus a pain.

Cheeri,
Calum.