Re: panel autohide

Il mer, 2002-03-20 alle 10:02, bordoley msu edu ha scritto:
> Honestly, I don't see macos style global menus ever being integrated into
> gnome as they violate the ui guidlines we have set up. I guess you could email
> desktop-devel, but I wouldn't count on this being added anytime soon.

  Well, I'm sure they will not show up soon (that's why I wrote 2.x and
not 2.0 ;o), but I definitely think they would be a nice addition to
GNOME.

> Ps. I really don't think gnome should blantantly copy either windows or macos.
> MacOS does some things very right (specifically dialog button orders are
> great, putting the panel on the top of the screen) but personally I hate the
> macOS global menu. I think it's a bad ui to have the menu bar constantly
> changing based on what app your using.

  I'm not saying GNOME should copy this or that, I already see many
improvements in GNOME UI (I *love* the way the Nautilus location bar
works when hidden!), and neither I'm sure that global menus are good
(having never used a Mac...), but reading Tog's considerations
(www.asktog.com) about them makes me wonder if they are really that
useful.
  I also agree with you that having the menubar change when changing app
may be a problem - as it can be a problem having to click on a window
before being able to see its menu.
  Can you point me to some rationale against global menus?

  I still think they would be a nice option to have (even if hidden
inside gconftool), though.

--
  -- Michele - www.micampe.it

That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.