Re: Why ALWAYS need to log in twice for gdm to let me thru?

On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 16:37, John P Verel wrote:
> You raise and interesting point.  I've had (and fixed) this problem at
> least a half dozen times over the past two or so years.  A common
> pattern is that it occurs right after an upgrade...including after and
> up2date upgrade.
It happened a lot more in the past, but various things still break even
with the latest Ximian updates.

> Perhaps this suggests that certain rpm based upgrades do not ensure that
> the integrity of pre-existing /tmp files?
/tmp files don't have any integrity, by definition.  The problem is with
the mechanisms the software uses to configure itself.  An extreme
example was the day I accidentally installed a few too many packages out
of the GNOME 2.0 snapshots channel on both of my machines.  When I next
logged into the machines, the configuration was *completely* different,
bearing not the slightlest resemblence to my 1.4 configuration.  I'm
hoping that a) this is because things are moving to GConf and b) no
one's put effort into configuration-migration yet.

All I can say is that if anyone here expects not to lose users in droves
when they upgrade to GNOME 2.0 and find that they have to *completely*
reconfigure everything to even remotely represent their old config, they
are utterly deluding themselves.

We (GNOME) can *NOT* ignore the problem of configuration migration.  If
an application or utility needs a different configuration mechanism, it
cannot simply ignore old config files.  If that means a migration
utility that has plugins for each application in order to move config
from 1.4 to 2.0, then that must be written.

      Erik Walthinsen <omega temple-baptist com> - System Administrator
        __
      _\  /_