Re: panel autohide

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 06:39:58PM -0500 or thereabouts, dep wrote:
> okay, this is offtopic to the extent that i'm running -- well,
> installed and am trying to configure -- ximian gnome, my first real
> experience with gnome. and i'm seeking to alter the panel somewhat --
> put it at the bottom and set it to autohide.
>
> the gnome docs say that autohide is enabled via rmb, panel,
> properties. only there is no such item on the menu with ximian, at
> least that i can see.
>
> anybody know how to enable the edge/hide stuff in ximian? and absent a
> way to do it via the gui itself, which config file needs to be
> hacked, and what the values ought to be?

There's five types of panel you can have in Gnome. Edge panel,
floating panel, menu panel (which is often called the foobar --
after the file the code is in, I think) and two others I forget.

All of them are endlessly configurable except for one: the menu
panel. Grr! You can't really do anything with it except say "I
want it" or "I don't want it".

The very top panel in Ximian -- the narrow one -- is a menu
panel, and thus you can't do a lot with it.

I think Ximian may also presume that you really don't want to
remove all panels, so that if you try to remove the only one
you have, you find it won't work.

I think your best bet is to create a new panel at the bottom
(of any type but 'menu') and just fill it in with the things
you want and the settings you prefer. (Once that second panel
is there you can kill off the original one.)

Telsa