Re: I don't get gnome 2

Rob -

Thanks, these are very helpful observations.

It would be useful if you could extend your efforts a little and try to
help diagnose the font problem, as there seems to be something
relatively unique about your setup (I have not heard reports of this
problem from others.) Understanding the details might help others avoid
the difficulty, and might help us fix it.

Your inability to save session on logout also needs to be diagnosed.
This works for others.

Rolling up your sleeves and contributing seems more appropriate to free
software's implied social contract than blaming, complaining and
waiting.

Cheers,
John