Re: I don't get gnome 2

On Sat, 2002-06-29 at 05:18, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:

> But thats not really the point I think, the point is how does the
> mythical non geek enduser set gnome to use AA fonts?  Why does it even
> need to be turned on?  And assuming there is a good reason that it is
> disabled by default why not have a simple checkbox to turn it on?

I happen to think that this is a good thing, as I believe there are
distros that still ship with bad /etc/X11/XftConfig files.  E.g., in
debian woody you have to install anti-aliasing-howto and cp the example
file there to /etc/X11, otherwise everthing has Cartwright fonts. If AA
were turned on by default, many users would have a prob. And since you
have to setup XftConfig anyway, adding GDK_USE_XFT=1 is not a serious
additional prob. Additionally, since you have at the current state write
your own .xsession or /etc/gdm/Sessions/G2 file iwth correct path
settings and stuff, I fail to see here too, why adding the env variable
is supposed to be a prob.

I'm sure, when distros ship G2, they will have working XftConfig and AA
enabled b default. Same situation as with KDE2, really. And Ximian will
also have instructions, or could distribute it via RedCarpet
automatically.

You may want to take a look at http://keithp.com/~keithp/fonts/XftConfig
for a config file that works good as a starting point and made the
Cartwrights leave my desktop

Kind regards