I don't get gnome 2

Hi, I have been using Gnome2 since RC1 and don't get it.

Firstly the much hyped AA fonts.  Where, I select the fonts panel there
is no option to turn it on, and why is it off by default?  Well, I set
GDK_USE_XFT and now I know why, half the fonts disappear and the ones
that are left look worse than a non AA truetype font.  Whats going on
here?  And why cant the AA thing by turned on using the gconf editor?

Then there is the any Window Manager you like so long as it's sawfish.
I tried changing the values (both current and default) in gconf but
still only get sawfish, in the end I renamed enlightenment to sawfish,
but have since changed back as under enlightenment task don't show up on
the task list.

Overall I feel like gnome 2 has taken a step back and am seriously
thinking about reverting to 1.4

Gnome 2 feels like it needs a few more months work.  settings seem
confusing and don't work, session control has gone, and saving a session
on logout seems to do nothing.

I understand that a lot of work has gone on under the hood to get it
right, but there was so much talk about that back in the 1.2 days, will
gnome 3 also be another re-write of the basics?

I guess I am just disapointed, I like others was really hoping that this
would be the one I could show others as ready for mainstream...