Re: Desktop Icons With Nautilus

On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 06:00, Calum Benson wrote:
> Carsten Menke wrote:
>
> > The Heck, could anybody tell me how someone could forget these features? I really wonder that the study Sun made did not figure this out.
>
> Well, unfortunately we (Sun) didn't have time to do a full usability
> study of Nautilus or any other one application.  So we decided that for
> a first study, we should get peoples' initial impressions of the whole
> desktop.
>
> This inevitably meant that the test subjects weren't going to find some
> problems with particular applications that were "obvious" to you or me,
> because they just didn't have time to use everything in much depth.  I
> think we still identified enough usability issues to be getting on with,
> though :)

I have to comment here.
Gnome/Nautilus is a version 1.x release. It still needs work. I have
found a way to work with most everything I've wanted to do with it,
always keeping in mind that it's a work in progress.

When I started this thread, I did so looking for information. I was
looking for an easier way to do something. To that end, I received some
suggestions, which gave me a place to look (in the final outcome: I'm
still adding desktop icons the same way I was: by manually creating the
text file that drives it... It works for now). I accept that this is not
a polished, 10 year old product.

My hope is that as Nautilus matures, the developers will look at
requestes such as mine, and add these things as features in upcoming
releases.

To those who have things that they would like to see incorporated (like
an easier way to add desktop launchers, or font control, or..??) I would
suggest a little constraint, and simply send a polite request to the
developers. I've always found in the past that a request for a feature
is far better received than a flame mail blasting a relatively immature
product for not being perfect yet.

As I pointed out on a related thread on another list: That type of
attitude reminds me far to much of the Microsoft Moles who infect these
lists. Their whole job (and yes, M$ pays them for doing it) is to come
onto these lists, and spread just this type of negative feedback, with
the intent of making folks dissatisfied with these products, and go back
to Windows.

So lets try to keep the requests for features focused, and positive.
Constructive critisizm is always well received. A flame is usually just
thrown in the trash.

JMHO.

Ric