Re: Desktop Icons With Nautilus

Ric Tibbetts wrote:

Well, that works  and results in the same thing as what I was doing
(which was creating/editing the file in .gnome-desktop by hand). Your
way has the immediate problem of adding an applicaiton to the desktop
that isn't on the menus (StarOffice for example).

Well, I really don't understand the Gnome Developers sometimes, they implement the nicest features, but forget the basics, or do only a half. As a new user you are totally lost using Gnome when you want to do essential Things.

You have the possiblity to add a news tab in nautilus, but you do not have the possibility to add a icon on the desktop by
doing a right click on the deskop background like you could with GMC.

BUT if you use gmc, then it is very easy to change the background using the control center. What is the next question when you've changed the background from black to white ?? Yes, exactly how to set the font color to a opposite color or a good contrast. Now you have to create a gtkrc.mine to this thing, gmc nor control center couldn't do this for you.
Also if you want a bigger font, you have to recompile gmc.

The Heck, could anybody tell me how someone could forget these features ? I really wonder that the study Sun made did not figure this out.

Carsten