Re: Desktop Icons With Nautilus

Well, that works  and results in the same thing as what I was doing
(which was creating/editing the file in .gnome-desktop by hand). Your
way has the immediate problem of adding an applicaiton to the desktop
that isn't on the menus (StarOffice for example).

Creating/Editing the files by hand is what I've been doing, and it does
work with most applications. I've gotten Evolution, and Pan, and some
others on the desktop that way.  I haven't tried SO yet, That will be
next. I was just hoping for a better method. Your method is a good
shortcut to that.
Maybe the folks at gnome (nautilus?) need to look at this?

This method will not produce a working Netscape icon though. I always
get an error from Netscape about not being able to open stderr. So
there's a problem with that (I don't use Netscape anymore anyway. BUT,
it does show a problem). I don't get that from the desktop on KDE.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Bot on, and off the list.
Adding a floating panel on the side was another suggestion I received.
It's not quite what I was looking for, but has the advantage of being
able to add applets. ;)