Re: Gnome2 and viewports

On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 19:44, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Gregory Merchan <merchan baton phys lsu edu> writes:
> > Except that it doesn't make any sense for workspaces. How do you know
> > which workspace you'll land on when you go off a side? You don't
> > and shouldn't expect to because workspaces are not contiguous;
>
> Virtual desktops certainly can be defined to have a geometric
> relationship.

"Viewports" as they exist in the current sawfish/Gnome combination
serve no useful function (I am using current RedHat, therefore Gnome
1.4). However this is because they do not have the full functionality
expected from a Viewport. On fvwm, I could scroll a Viewport
continuously over my workspace, thus centering any particular window
without moving it in the absolute workspace coordinates.
With the sawfish implementation, you only have a finite number of
possible views, tiling the workspace. You can only move to another
workspace by edge flipping, and a window which straddles the viewport
edge is unusable until you move it wholly within one tile or another.
Therefore this restricted concept of viewport adds nothing to what
you would already have with edge-flipping between workspaces with an
artificial spatial relationship.

I would rather see viewports reincarnated with proper continuous
scrolling - but otherwise they should be dispensed with.