Gnome2 and viewports

Hey there all,

I didn't want to bring this up on gnome-devel because 1) I'm not
currently a developer and 2) they are rather busy right now. ;-)  But...

Is it true that Gnome2 is going to be eliminating support for viewports?
If so, I think it sucks; doubly so since Gnome/Sawfish doesn't seem to
have a simple non-keystroke method of switching between workspaces (a la
Enlightenment's mousewheel support). I find viewports quite handy; when
I'm forced to use Windows, the first thing I do is make sure jspager is
installed. :-)

Maybe I'm an atypical user, but I find the viewport+edge-flipping
functionality quite indispensable when I'm working with a lot of files
at once, for example in gimp - it allows me to easily and temporarily
isolate a specific window I'm working with. Much easier than "menu" ->
"move to" or having to drag things around using the deskguide (then
switching workspaces, then ...).

Anyone know about this? Maybe I just need to get my ears cleaned out
better... feel free to tell me I'm wrong; I'd love to hear it.

--
Travis Saling
Webmaster, UW Electrical Engineering