Re: Gnome2 fatal error

On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 17:13, Keith Powell wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 August 2002 2:43 pm, mike wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 14:07, Keith Powell wrote:
> > > I have installed Gnome2  into SuSE8, using the SuSE apt-get application.
> > > It downloaded and installed with no error messages, but won't run.
> > >
> > > On starting, it loads and then I get the error message:
> > >
> > > Application "gnome-settings-daemon" (process 993) has crashed due to a
> > > fatal error (segmentation fault).
> > >
> > > No folders will open, nor will the desktop shortcuts run. There are only
> > > a very few applications listed in the main Gnome menu (all the main ones
> > > are missing), and the "SuSE applications" sub-menu is empty.
> > >
> > > Any ideas as to what can have happened, please, and how I can get Gnome2
> > > to run?
> > >
> > > Gnome1.4 runs OK. I just added "gnome2" as a new session.
> >
> > What have you got in your gnome2 session?
> > Which prefix did gnome2 get installed in - /opt?
> > as a test add this to your ~/.bashrc
> >
> > export PATH=/opt/gnome/bin:$PATH
> > export GNOME2_PATH=/opt/gnome/bin
>
> Hello Mike.
>
> I have added the two "export" lines to my ~/.bashrc file, and it appears to
> have worked. At least I have now got a Gnome desktop with proper icons which
> open and run. However, I am still getting the gnome-settings-daemon error.
> The process has changed to 1289, if that means anything - it doesn't to me.
>
> There is still a lack of applications in the menu, and the SuSE sub-menu does
> not work. That may be normal, though?
>
> I have put gnome2 as the new session. If I make it gnome-session, Gnome1.4
> runs. This was done by adding it to the KDE SYSTEM LOGIN-MANAGER, as I
> normally do when I want to add a desktop.
>
> Gnome2 is in /opt as is Gnome and KDE.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Glad to be of help

Not sure about the sessions error but as rears menus I have an idea

RH has its menus in /etc/X11/applink and the key file in gnome
/etc/gnome-vfs-2.o/applications.vflder-info has a merge line which
relates to it (cant quote it unfortunately)

So do locate .desktop>destopfiles, open desktopfiles and look for a
directory that looks nequivalent in SUSE to the above and replace the
merge entry with these details - I will be online for about half an hour
at redtuxxx (yahoo) if you want any help on this.