Re: Gnome2 fatal error

On Wednesday 07 August 2002 2:43 pm, mike wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 14:07, Keith Powell wrote:
> > I have installed Gnome2  into SuSE8, using the SuSE apt-get application.
> > It downloaded and installed with no error messages, but won't run.
> >
> > On starting, it loads and then I get the error message:
> >
> > Application "gnome-settings-daemon" (process 993) has crashed due to a
> > fatal error (segmentation fault).
> >
> > No folders will open, nor will the desktop shortcuts run. There are only
> > a very few applications listed in the main Gnome menu (all the main ones
> > are missing), and the "SuSE applications" sub-menu is empty.
> >
> > Any ideas as to what can have happened, please, and how I can get Gnome2
> > to run?
> >
> > Gnome1.4 runs OK. I just added "gnome2" as a new session.
>
> What have you got in your gnome2 session?
> Which prefix did gnome2 get installed in - /opt?
> as a test add this to your ~/.bashrc
>
> export PATH=/opt/gnome/bin:$PATH
> export GNOME2_PATH=/opt/gnome/bin

Hello Mike.

I have added the two "export" lines to my ~/.bashrc file, and it appears to
have worked. At least I have now got a Gnome desktop with proper icons which
open and run. However, I am still getting the gnome-settings-daemon error.
The process has changed to 1289, if that means anything - it doesn't to me.

There is still a lack of applications in the menu, and the SuSE sub-menu does
not work. That may be normal, though?

I have put gnome2 as the new session. If I make it gnome-session, Gnome1.4
runs. This was done by adding it to the KDE SYSTEM LOGIN-MANAGER, as I
normally do when I want to add a desktop.

Gnome2 is in /opt as is Gnome and KDE.

Thanks for your help.

Keith