Re: Floppy disk access in Gnome - followup.

On Sat, Oct 27, 2001 at 03:34:08AM -0700, George Farris wrote:
> This is a problem folks.  A desktop ease of use problem.  I think we
> would all like to see GNOME on peoples desktops but these and other user
> interface issues need to be addressed.
>
> Thank you all for your patience in this matter.

I agree with you 100%.  We need to address this.  Even if we find a linux
only solution.  So we do what we do now on other platforms.  In any case, the
windows way of handling removable media IS the correct way.  Removable media
should be removable, the act of mounting and unmounting is not something the
user should worry about at all.

The mental model is that if the disk is inserted in the computer, you can
read it, and to take it out, you take it out.  Adding mounting/unmounting to
the mental model is not going to win any converts as it is completely
counterintuitive.

I think there was a patch for linux kernel at some point called supermount or
some such, that in effect did exactly that.  You didn't have to mount nor
unmount removable media.  I have no clue what happened to this patch or why
it didn't get in.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun