Re: GTK _Is_ Installed ...

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 10:57:29PM +0200 or thereabouts, Desmond Coughlan wrote:
> So I attempt to install GTK from /stand/sysinstall, and it tells me that
> it is _already_ installed.  Yet when I run ...
> # find / -name gtk -print
> I get no response.
>
> Could someone let me know where I'm going wrong ?

A guess:

I think that find command is fine and valid. But it is looking
for files called "gtk". Exactly that and nothing more. Without
anything else in the name. Which is probably not what you meant.

For a start, I would try
	find / -name '*gtk*' -print
...which looks for anything which '*gtk*' will expand to. That's
anything with the characters g, t, and k in, next to each other,
case-sensitive. If if didn't work, I would try
	find / -iname '*gtk*' -print
..which is the same, only case-insensitive. It would pick up anything
with "Gtk" in, for example.

As a short cut, the typical places for gtk to be installed in
are /opt (SuSE), somewhere in /usr (RH and Debian), or /usr/local
(from tarballs). That last would be included in /usr/ of course.

There is a GNOME search tool which is supposed to make this sort
of thing easier, but after all the time I spent learning very very
basic find syntax, I am determined to make use of the command :)

Telsa