Re: GTK _Is_ Installed ...

Desmond Coughlan wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm having a problem compiling all those luvverly programmes I find on the
> Gnome website.  I download the tarball to /tmp, cd into that directory as
> root, and unpack the appropriate package.  I then run ./configure, which
> goes well, until ...
>
> *** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
> *** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
> *** full path to gtk-config.
> configure: error: GTK not installed
>
> So I attempt to install GTK from /stand/sysinstall, and it tells me that
> it is _already_ installed.  Yet when I run ...
>
> # find / -name gtk -print
>
> I get no response.
>
> Could someone let me know where I'm going wrong ?
>
> Many thanks.  :-)
>
> D.

Hmmmh, afaik, "find" as you composed, does only find exact matchings to
gtk.

What about this:

cd /
find . -name *gtk*

Then you should find gtk, you could mostly then do

./configure --with-gtk=/your/path

Most apps require the path to your gtk-config. But gtk-config is only on
your system if you selfcompiled gtk or you
have also the devel rpm's or (deb's) installed. e.g gtk-devel.rpm
(gtk-devel.deb)

Hope this helps a bit

Carsten

--