Re: Three questions

geoffrey wrote:

Hi all, I have a couple of questions.

First: Where are the default GNOME settings stored? I am running SuSE v7.2 and GNOME 1.4 with Nautilus. I want to give all users the same predefined desktop and menu choices, but I cannot track down where GNOME is pulling the information from. when setting up a new user's account. I add a user, and there is no GNOME stuff in their $HOME, but on first login, GNOME installs all of the config directories and settings. What files are being used to do this? I looked in /etc/opt/gnome, but didn't find all that I am looking for. Short version: How do I give every system the user the EXACT SAME initial default desktop?

should be something like
   /usr/share/gnome
for the pure gnome stuff
   /usr/share/gnome-*        (for some apps/libs)
   /usr/share/mime-info
   /usr/share/application-registry

& gconf for some others apps (as nautilus or galeon). Should be in /etc/gconf (at least for redhat).

   and some others

Second: Is it possible to remove the option for not seeing the MOTD popup on login? I mean, How can I see to it that the motd popup message shows up each and every time a user logs in to the system. Where is the config file that sets whether or not that window pops up on login? I am required by my employer to display a particular message about system usage for all users at each login; so how can I do this?

Each user can switch it off after first login (control-panel->hints). I don't know if it is already possible to set it as a site wide default. It should be for gnome2 with gconf.

Third: If I use password aging in the shadow suite. How can I get the seven days to expiration warning to pop up when a user logs in?

There you are on your own for the trigger (profile ?). Take a look at gdialog for the displaying.

Thanks for all clues!

geoffrey

You are welcome & have fun

--
                                                         -o)
                  Remi Cohen-Scali                       /\\