GDM Crashing/Closing

It happens occasionally that when I log into GNOME from GDM, then log
out, GDM/X closes down, and I'm left at a login prompt.  Logging in as
root and typing
init 3; init 5; exit
fixes it (ya, I know, there are easier ways, but I'm lazy and it's short
to type).

I don't see any errors in /var/log/XFree86.log.0 or /var/log/messages,
and I don't see and GDM specific log files.  Where can I find more
information on why this keeps happening?

Sometimes when I log out of GNOME (if I'm only in it for a short time)
GDM restarts at a login window like it should.  I see the problem with
any user (although only one user is really ever used), and all desktop
environments (I think, I don't use any others for extended periods of
time).

Thanks,

--
Sean Middleditch