Re: Desktop area Vs monitor screen size.

> But when I do a startx and start the GNOME, my desktop occupies
> an area greater than the actual screen size.  The font size is
> all correct.  Only the size of the desktop is big.

You probably have some lines in XF86Config like

	Subsection "Display"
		Depth 32
		Modes "1280x1024" "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768" "1152x864"
	EndSubSection
	Subsection "Display"
		Depth 24
		Modes "1280x1024" "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768" "1152x864"
	EndSubSection
        [...]

The mode lines tells X which resolutions it may use - you can switch
between them with Ctrl + Alt + Keypad +/-. The largest resolution will
be used as the size of the desktop so if you want a smaller one,
simply delete the offending mode.

I hope this helps?

BTW, the first mode in the list will be used when you start up so
unless you like small resolutions, put the largest one up in front as
I have done with mine.

You could also delete all modes except the one you actually use, but
then you lose the sometimes useful ability to quickly "zoom" in by
switching resolution with the C-A-+/- combinations.

> I searched for a solution to this and found in the archive a similar
> question.  There it was asked to set the "Virtual" parameter of the
> "Display" subsection of the "Screen" section in the XF86Config file.
>
> Virtual 1280 1024

Didn't know this one, maybe I'll try it one day - I sometimes need
some extra space.

--
Ole Laursen
http://sunsite.dk/olau/