Desktop area Vs monitor screen size.

Hello All,

I have finally  managed to configure my X windows.   The X server
is working fine now.

But when I do a startx and start the GNOME, my desktop occupies
an area greater than the actual screen size.  The font size is
all correct.  Only the size of the desktop is big.

I searched for a solution to this and found in the archive a similar
question.  There it was asked to set the "Virtual" parameter of the
"Display" subsection of the "Screen" section in the XF86Config file.

Virtual 1280 1024

I did this but it didn't help.  Can anybody help me?

Thanx in advance.

Cheers,
anna
--

``Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go
away.''      - Philip K. Dick