Re: Desktop area Vs monitor screen size.

                            Enlightenment -----------------^
> didn't say which one you were using).

Oh.. I posted this question here 'cos basically I couldn't tell
whether it is gnome related or xfree86 related,  but was subscribed
to gnome list, only a few days ago.

The question that I asked was there in the xfree86 faq (Q.D2).  (
http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ/#virtual ) I guess I should have read it
first.  I am sorry if this annoyed anyone.

FWIW,  I initially had in XF86Config file

<snip>
Section "Screen"
Subsection "Display"
Modes "800x600" "640x480" "1024x768"
<snip>

I changed the Modes line to

Modes "800x600" "640x480"

In 1024x768 mode my screen was flickering badly. So removed it,
instead of keeping it somewhere in the "Modes".  Also I removed the
"Virtual" parameter.

Now its all working fine.  Thanks for all those who tried to help me
out.

I have one more question, though.  Just to make sure I know whats
happening.  I have depth 8, 16 and 24 in my XF86Config file.  Which
depth is chosen by default?  For me all the commands -
"startx"
"startx -- -bpp 16"
"startx -- -bpp 24"
seems to look the same.  Well,  I guess thats another XFree86
question!  Maybe I'll try someother place.  But then, if somebody
can reply me personally (instead of on this list), I would be happy.

Thanks and Regards,
anna
--

``Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go
away.''      - Philip K. Dick