Re: continuing gdm problems

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 10:28:50AM +0100 or thereabouts, Ivan Uemlianin wrote:
> Dear People
> However, all is not well.  Now, when trying to start gdm, I get the
> error message:
>    gdm_verify_check: Can't find PAM configuration file for gdm
> Any comments?  I've read the gdm docs and can't find anything on this.
>
> - gdm has a pam.d/gdm file at /opt/gnome/etc/pam.d/gdm - maybe
> gdm_verify_check cant' find it?  gdm_verify_check seems to be looking
> for /etc/pam.conf and /etc/pam.d/gdm - neither of which exist on my
> system (SuSE 6.4).  My system has /etc/pam.d but no pam.conf

A thought:

See whether creating /etc/pam.d/gdm as a symlink pointing to the
/opt/gnome... one works, first. Syntax is "ln -s target linkname", so
"ln /opt/gnome/etc/pam.d/gdm /etc/pam.d/gdm" is (I think :)) what
you want. The -s is a softlink. If you have lots of partitions, then
you may need to remove the -s because you need a hard link across
filesystems.

I don't know how well links and pam stuff (which is all the authentication
stuff about who is allowed to do what on which display) work together.

It may be that you need to learn about pam. In which case, um. Urrgh.
Good luck. I think a better answer is below.

>  > from src/gdm-2.2.0/daemon/verify-pam.c
>  >
>  > gdm_verify_check (void)
>  > {
>  >     struct stat statbuf;
>  >
>  >     if (stat ("/etc/pam.d/gdm", &statbuf) && stat ("/etc/pam.conf",
> &statbuf))
>  > 	gdm_fail (_("gdm_verify_check: Can't find PAM configuration file for
> gdm"));
>  > }
>
> - although gdm is installed in /opt/gnome, the gdm user has /var/lib/gdm
> as its home directory in /etc/passwd.  This is surely wrong but what
> should it be changed to?  /opt/gnome/var/gdm does not improve things.

Please put this last section in bugzilla against gdm and mention the
distro you're using. Thanks! http://bugzilla.gnome.org and product
gdm. (You'll an account, and cookies enabled in order to login -- or
you can send it via a recent bug-buddy, but it's harder to add comments
later that way.)

Telsa