gnome-ppp problems

   I'm trying to get gnome-ppp to work and having trouble.  I've
   got a known good dialup connection entered that works fine
   with wvdial, and when I try to connect using gnome-ppp a
   window pops up stating "PPP Daemon died unexpectedly".  Doing
   some straces I notices it trying to open /etc/resolv.conf
   and failing, so I changed the permissions and it gets just
   past this part and it fails.  I tried changing the permissions
   on pppd as well, but it still fails.

   I'd really like to use gnome-ppp for it's multi-number and DNS
   capabilities.  Any help is much appreciated.

   thanks,
   jc