Re: continuing gnome panel problems

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 10:31:01AM +0100 or thereabouts, Ivan Uemlianin wrote:
> Dear People
> [just read about 'known bug in gnome-core-1.4.0.3 or less'.  Will
> install that and see if it all works.  Please still comment on issues
> below if you think they're not gnome-core related]
> 1.  There seems to be no difference between the launchers that work and
> those that don't, i.e., in the .lnk files - for example, command lines
> from non-working launchers will work when typed into mini-commander.

Can I clarify this?

Are you saying that you have found the $prefix/gnome/[Something]/foo.desktop
files, had a look at the "Exec:" line for each, and that

* typing that command from "Exec:" works in mini-commander.
* clicking the menu entry itself doesn't.

Is that it? I am wondering whether you use GDM, and whether this is
path-related. Two things: first, can you try the same lines in a
gnome-terminal? Second, can you do "echo $PATH" in a gnome-terminal
and in mini-commander and see whether you get different results?

Just a guess.

> 2.  I had a look at ~/.xsession-errors (see below).  Given (0) the stuff
> after Gtk-WARNING is probably what's relevant (The rest looks pretty
> hairy too).
>
>  > ~/.xsession-errors

The xscreensaver stuff looks to me like you are running Gnome as root.
xscreensaver won't run as root by default. It's question and answer
seven in http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html

>  > /dev/dsp: No such device
>  > /dev/dsp: No such device
>  > /dev/dsp: No such device
>  > /dev/dsp: No such device
>  > /dev/dsp: No such device
>  > /dev/dsp: No such device
>  > /dev/dsp: No such device

Something wants to play noises, I think. Not sure.

>  > Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_disconnect_by_data(): could not find
> handler containing data (0x811CC80)
>  > /dev/dsp: No such device
>  > subshell.c: couldn't get terminal settings: Inappropriate ioctl for
> device
>  > subshell.c: couldn't get terminal settings: Inappropriate ioctl for
> device

Seen these in other people's errors. Not sure.

>  > xalf: timeout launching /bin/sh

At a -guess-, this is trying to start a program, and it's not starting,
and xalf is thinking "now what?". That's a total guess. I don't know a
lot about xalf. I don't know why it's launching shells at all.

Telsa