continuing gnome panel problems

Dear People

[just read about 'known bug in gnome-core-1.4.0.3 or less'.  Will
install that and see if it all works.  Please still comment on issues
below if you think they're not gnome-core related]

A while ago I wrote with a problem concerning the Gnome panel (I recently installed Gnome 1.4 from tarballs onto SuSE 6.4). Thank you for your helpful comments. Here is an update:

0. What actually happens is this: click on the launcher (eg Gnome|progs|apps|emacs); an entry appears in the taskbar for that app, showing an eggtimer (xalf?); the app itself does not appear, and after a few seconds the tasbar entry disappears.

1. There seems to be no difference between the launchers that work and those that don't, i.e., in the .lnk files - for example, command lines from non-working launchers will work when typed into mini-commander.

2. I had a look at ~/.xsession-errors (see below). Given (0) the stuff after Gtk-WARNING is probably what's relevant (The rest looks pretty hairy too).

> ~/.xsession-errors
>
> SESSION_MANAGER=local/linux:/tmp/.ICE-unix/426
> /dev/dsp: No such device
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> xscreensaver: Can't open display: :0
> xscreensaver: initial effective uid/gid was root/root (0/0)
> xscreensaver: running as nobody/nogroup (65534/65534)
>
> xscreensaver: Errors at startup are usually authorization problems.
>               Did you read the manual and the FAQ?  Specifically,
>               the parts of the manual that talk about XAUTH, XDM,
>               and root logins?
>
>               http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/man.html
>
> /dev/dsp: No such device
> /dev/dsp: No such device
> /dev/dsp: No such device
> /dev/dsp: No such device
> /dev/dsp: No such device
> /dev/dsp: No such device
> /dev/dsp: No such device
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_disconnect_by_data(): could not find handler containing data (0x811CC80)
> /dev/dsp: No such device
> subshell.c: couldn't get terminal settings: Inappropriate ioctl for device > subshell.c: couldn't get terminal settings: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> xalf: timeout launching /bin/sh

All help appreciated

Best wishes

Ivan Uemlianin