Re: Cannot compile gnome-print

On 28 Jul 2001 00:53:35 +0200, Lauris Kaplinski wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On 27 Jul 2001 12:40:05 -0500, Stephen M. Williams wrote:
> > I'm stuck compiling gnome-print.  I should be more specific:  I can
> > configure it, I can 'make' it, but when I run make install (after trying
> > a myriad of different configures, etc.) I always get this when it starts
> > running the perl script 'run-gnome-font-install':
>
> 1. Try, whether installer/gnome-font-install is built correctly. Just
>    invoke it with gnome-font-install --debug
>
> > Error: ghostscript was found, but appeared to have no font
> > Error: information.  Please file a bug report (see bugs.gnome.org)
> > Error: and include the verbatim output of "gs -h".  Thanks.
> > Warning: I'll try to limp on...
> > Info: running "./gnome-font-install
> > --afm-path=/usr/local/share/fonts/afms
> > --pfb-path=/usr/local/share/fonts/pfbs
> > --target=/usr/local/share/fonts/fontmap2 --fontmap-path=../fonts".
>
> What happens, if you try to run gnome-font-install with given argument
> manually? For some reason it does not run from install script.
>
> run-gnome-font-install simply does some heuristics to find out type1
> foints used by ghostscript, and invokes gnome-font-install afterwards.
>
> > Error: failed.
> > Make[2]: *** [install-data-local] Error 2
> > Make[2]: Leaving directory
> > `/home/swilliam/download/gnome/extract/gnome-print-0.29/installer'
> > Make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
> > Make[1]: Leaving directory
> > `/home/swilliam/download/gnome/extract/gnome-print-0.29/installer'
> > Make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
> >
> > The weird thing (to me, anyway) is that ghostscript is not installed.
> > If there is anything I've left out that may help someone help me, please
> > feel free to shoot me a mail.  I appreciate anyone's help regarding
> > this.
>
> The working gs is not strictly required. It is only used to find
> handful of usable type1 fonts from system. There is certain set of
> default directories hardcoded at the start of run-gnome-font-install,
> so if your fonts are in these directories, you do not need gs. But you
> have to install ghostscript-fonts package (from your script output I
> have
> feeling, that you have not).
>
> Best wishes,
> Lauris Kaplinski

Lauris, you rock :)  Thanks a bunch.  I downloaded and installed the
gnu-gs-fonts-std-6.0 and gnu-gs-fonts-other packages, installed them into
one of the default dirs listed in run-gnome-font-install, and everything
now
seems to be happy!

Thank you very much,

--
Stephen Williams
mailto:rootusr midsouth rr com

* I've tried killing time, but it keeps making a comeback.