Re: Cannot compile gnome-print

Hello!

On 27 Jul 2001 12:40:05 -0500, Stephen M. Williams wrote:
> I'm stuck compiling gnome-print.  I should be more specific:  I can
> configure it, I can 'make' it, but when I run make install (after trying
> a myriad of different configures, etc.) I always get this when it starts
> running the perl script 'run-gnome-font-install':

1. Try, whether installer/gnome-font-install is built correctly. Just
   invoke it with gnome-font-install --debug

> Error: ghostscript was found, but appeared to have no font
> Error: information.  Please file a bug report (see bugs.gnome.org)
> Error: and include the verbatim output of "gs -h".  Thanks.
> Warning: I'll try to limp on...
> Info: running "./gnome-font-install
> --afm-path=/usr/local/share/fonts/afms
> --pfb-path=/usr/local/share/fonts/pfbs
> --target=/usr/local/share/fonts/fontmap2 --fontmap-path=../fonts".

What happens, if you try to run gnome-font-install with given argument
manually? For some reason it does not run from install script.

run-gnome-font-install simply does some heuristics to find out type1
foints used by ghostscript, and invokes gnome-font-install afterwards.

> Error: failed.
> Make[2]: *** [install-data-local] Error 2
> Make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/swilliam/download/gnome/extract/gnome-print-0.29/installer'
> Make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
> Make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/swilliam/download/gnome/extract/gnome-print-0.29/installer'
> Make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
>
> The weird thing (to me, anyway) is that ghostscript is not installed.
> If there is anything I've left out that may help someone help me, please
> feel free to shoot me a mail.  I appreciate anyone's help regarding
> this.

The working gs is not strictly required. It is only used to find
handful of usable type1 fonts from system. There is certain set of
default directories hardcoded at the start of run-gnome-font-install,
so if your fonts are in these directories, you do not need gs. But you
have to install ghostscript-fonts package (from your script output I
have
feeling, that you have not).

Best wishes,
Lauris Kaplinski