Re: Most Recent version and etc

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 04:44:34PM +0000, Leonard Smith wrote:
> Garrett,
>
> Is the version of GNOME at gnome.org different from Ximian GNOME? Also, would
> there be a problem installing from source? Since I am relatively new to Linux I
> like working with the source code when I can because it helps me learn the system
> better.
>
> Leonard Smith
>
> Garrett Mickelson wrote:
>
> > Leonard,
> > I highly recommend downloading all the packages. Go to their website and
> > download page. There select Install Ximian GNOME manually, as they don't
> > have a Slackware version of the Go GNOME script. I recommend downloading
> > the Ximian GNOME Installer for Intel Computers Running Linux (Non-RH7).
> > If the installer has problems with Slackware then you will have to
> > verify that you have RPM3 installed, as these are RPM packages. I don't
> > think Ximian has any intent of creating Slackware Packages.
> >
> > Good Luck,
> > Garrett Mickelson
> >
> > On 24 Jan 2001 10:41:21 +0000, Leonard Smith wrote:

Leonard,
If you want to learn your system and also compile gnome from source, I strongly
recommend you try www.linuxfromscratch.org.  You can compile your linux system
from source (and learn chroot), and it has a passable guide to compiling gnome
and many other things from scratch.  I followed their detailed instructions,
and in about two weeks of intermittent effort had a working gnome system, and
I actually had a fair idea how everything hung together.
--
Rich Rudnick

nickrud citlink net